August 27, 2008 4 Comments
Windows XP Screen Saver does not launch (open) as expected when double-clicking a Screen Saver file. A configuration (settings) windows for the screen saver is displayed instead of the Screen Saver preview. The default verb for the context menu of the Screen Saver was changed to ‘Configure’ which will display the Screen Saver configuration window.
Manual Steps Using Windows XP Registry
- Click Start and then Run.
- Type regedit.exe in the Run dialog box.
- Press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Navigate to:
- Right-click (default) to select Delete.
- Quit the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
Manual Steps Using REG ADD
- Open a Command Window.
REG ADD "HKCR\scrfile\shell /ve
- Type EXIT and press ENTER on your keyboard.
Automated Fix Using an Registration File
- Download ScrnSvr.Assctn.reg to a folder on your hard drive.
- Right-click ScrnSvr.Assctn.reg to select Merge.
- Now the registration entries are added for you.
- Microsoft Windows XP Editions
- Screen Saver Tab Missing – Display Properties
- Screen Saver Restricted (Greyed) Part 1 – Display Properties
- Screen Saver Restricted (Greyed) Part 2 – Display Properties
- Screen Saver Timeout Restriction (Greyed) – Display Properties
Edited: May 13, 2012